Tips for Mealtimes….
- Limit distractions, eg. Television, screens, noise.
- Sit together for meals as a family.
- Provide a “special”, (awesome, amazing) chair for your child to sit in at mealtimes. Awesome for them could be a special cushion, label or sign or decorated a certain way. Make sure it is comfortable for them and supportive.
- Set certain routines for mealtimes, such as, setting the table, washing hands, make mealtime at a set time every day.
- Start with food your child loves and slowly introduce and expand on this group. Reintroduce foods they are not keen on many times.
- Don’t force eating.
- Be aware of textures/smells that your child might not like. Sometimes these can distract from the task at hand and discourage them from trying new things.
- Relax and limit anxiety for your child and for you. If they see you upset at mealtimes they may associate mealtimes with this feeling.
- Of course, rule out any allergies, intolerance and any medical issues before you begin.